Saving energy and money are major concerns for homeowners throughout Montgomery County, MD. Many believe that replacing a home’s air conditioning system, windows, and water heater are the only solutions to lowering energy consumption. If you have a tight budget and would like to save some money on your next energy bill, here are a few free solutions to get you started:
When devices—such as lamps and television sets—are placed too close to a thermostat, it can cause the reading of the room temperature to be higher than the true temperature, triggering excessive cooling. This is due to heat emitted from these items when in use, so be sure to place them a few feet away from your thermostat to ensure the most accurate reading.
Adjust your thermostat setting a few degrees higher (to about 78 or 80 degrees Fahrenheit) when you leave your house. This will save you energy and money on your next energy bill. If you’re worried about your home feeling uncomfortable after increasing your thermostat, ceiling fans help by circulating cool air around the room and use less energy than a light bulb.
Develop Energy Saving Habits
Developing the following energy saving habits can also save money on your next energy bill:
- Turn off lights and electronics when not in use
- Close blinds and curtains during the hottest part of the day
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Power down desktop computers
By following these tips, you’ll see results on your energy bill as well as your bank account. However, for the bigger issues—such as AC replacement or AC tune-ups—Michael Bonsby Heating & Air Conditioning is here to help.
Benefits of Annual AC Tune-Ups
Not only can an annual AC tune-up from Michael Bonsby save you as much as 30 percent on your monthly energy costs, but it could also save you hundreds of dollars (and hours of stress) by locating and letting you fix any potential issues with your air conditioning system before they become major problems.
In addition to the cost saving benefits, an AC tune-up will ensure that your air conditioning system runs cleanly and efficiently all season long. The steps of our AC tune-up include:
- Checking thermostat calibration
- Monitoring refrigerant pressure
- Testing the air conditioner’s starting capabilities
- Testing the air conditioner’s safety controls
- Cleaning and/or replacement of standard air filters
- Cleaning and adjustment of blower components
- Air flow testing and correction
- Tightening electrical connections
- Volt and amp measurement
- Lubrication of all moving parts
- Cleaning condensate drain
- Measuring temperature difference between supply air and return air
- Application of protective coating
- Monitoring cooling cycle
- Inspecting evaporator coil
- Examining installation quality
- Examining equipment condition area and clearances
- Cleaning condenser coil
Call us at 301-990-7970—we proudly serve Gaithersburg, Germantown, Potomac, Clarksburg, and surrounding MD areas.