You may have heard a lot about duct cleaning over the past couple of years. This is because duct cleaning has become more popular. The thing you need to look out for when it comes to duct cleaning is companies that make exaggerated claims about the benefits or try to set up regular scheduling for duct cleaning services. So the question is should you have your air ducts cleaned at all?
When Should I Clean My Air Ducts?
It never hurts to have your air ducts cleaned as dust, dirt and allergens can build up in your ducts. However, you do not need to have your ducts cleaned on a regular basis. If you or someone in your home suffers from bad allergies, once a year should be sufficient to keep everything clean otherwise you can schedule air duct services as needed.
Why Should I Clean My Air Ducts?
There are certain circumstances that may lead to needing air duct cleaning, these include:
- Mold or mildew buildup – if you notice a moldy smell coming through your air vents or there is a visible sign of mold and mildew buildup in your vents having your air duct cleans make sense. Mold or mildew can lead to major health issues for those living in your home.
- Renovations or home improvement projects – if you have recently completed home improvement projects or you have had renovations done to your home, you may have dust build up in your vents. This is especially true if your vents were not sealed during renovations. Breathing in these particles could irritate air passages and may cause lung problems.
- Pets – if you have dogs or cats in your home their hair may find its way into your vents. This can cause problems with your systems air flow. Having your vents cleaned can help clear out the hair and pet dander, allowing for an improvement in your air flow.
- Animals – if you find birds, squirrels or other animals nesting in your duct it is important to get nests and animal feces removed and cleaned. If this is the case you will want to have your air ducts cleaned out as soon as possible.
- Debris and odors – vents that eject debris and odors into the air are likely connected to dirty ducts. To keep the air in your home clean and reduce the need for constant cleaning having your ducts cleaned can be a good idea.
- Allergies or repeated illness – dirt and allergens can build up inside ducts which can increase symptoms with those that have bad allergies or sensitive respiratory systems. If you have people in your home that are constantly battling allergies or they seem to be suffering from repeated respiratory illnesses getting your ducts cleaned can help.
In general, your ducts can be cleaned as the need arises, setting a regular cleaning schedule is not necessary and may be the result of being caught up in an air duct cleaning scam.
Contact Michael Bonsby Heating & Cooling for Duct Cleaning
If you feel you may need to have your ducts cleaned in the Maryland and Washington DC areas, contact the team or give us a call at 301-990-7970. We can help you decide if duct cleaning is right for you!